Skip to main content

Talk:id Software

Talk:id Software

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Credit[edit]

Credit for the link to "The Wizardry of Id" article should go to Liftarn. Just giving credit where credit is due! :-) —Frecklefoot 15:27, 4 Sep 2003 (UTC)

See Also[edit]

I hate stepping on other's toes (especially a sysop's), but I reverted the edit by Schneelocke for the formatting of the See also: entity. The Manual of Style supports the way I had it originally. It's a big pet peeve of mine, but I hate whole sections for the See also:, but I tolerate it for See alsos with numerous entries. Since I only had one entry, I think a whole section for the See also: was execessive. Sorry, but, like I said, it's a pet peeve of mine (I'll try to work on it). :-) —Frecklefoot 20:43, 5 Sep 2003 (UTC)
See also: Talk:DOOM (computer game)

Re-wikilinking[edit]

In addition to helpful changes, SpaceCow went through and added wikilinks to every term that already had wikilinks. This is discouraged in Wikipedia, though I can't find the reference at the minute. Only wikify the first occurance of a term unless it is used again a greater further down in the article and the link is topical. I don't have time to undo all his excessive wikilinking, and I assume he/she was just unfamiliar with the policy. Can someone else help me out here? Thanks. Frecklefoot | Talk 16:00, Nov 10, 2004 (UTC)

I fixed some of the linkage. Actually, I wrote a Python script to remove duplicate links (regexp code borrowed from the scripts on Wikipedia:Scripts):

import re    re_link = re.compile(r'(\[\[[^\[\]]+\]\])')    def rmdupelinks(wikitext):      chunks = re_link.split(wikitext)      outchunks = chunks[:]      already_linked = {}      line = 1      for i, chunk in enumerate(chunks):          if re_link.match(chunk):              linktext = chunk[2:-2]              target = descr = linktext              if "|" in target:                  j = target.index("|")                  descr = target[j+1:]                  target = target[:j]              if target in already_linked:                  print "Killed duplicate:", target, line                  outchunks[i] = descr              else:                  already_linked[target] = True          line += chunk.count("\n")      return "".join(outchunks)    if __name__ == "__main__":      indata = open("in.txt").read()      open("out.txt", "w").write(rmdupelinks(indata))  

It wasn't that useful in this case though, as the biggest problem here was inconsistency in the spelling of titles. Maybe the above script could be modified to do something useful. Fredrik | talk 22:49, 10 Nov 2004 (UTC)

Sorry about the excessive linking[edit]

Sorry about that - yeah, I'm pretty new to Wiki and was under the impression that linking liberally was something to be done. I should probably read the guidelines again :)

IPA mistake[edit]

it is not id, it is Id... with the IPA symbol for i as in it = It... the little capitalized "i" I.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Obol (coin)

Jacques Rancière

2000–01 California electricity crisis